Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Adrian Pruett, Miss Howard University 2010-2011 (EbonyQueen)

Ebony Queens 2010-2011
Adrian Pruett, Miss Howard University 2010-2011 is a senior Music Education major from Atlanta, Georgia who lives her life to  uplift others while being a humanitarian for her community.With the support of her university, students, family, and other supporters Adrian was granted the opportunity to represent Howard University in the “HBCU Queens” edition of Jet/Ebony magazine. This is an esteemed honor for Adrian and she understands the significance of her achievement. I was able to have a talk with Adrian about becoming an Ebony Queen of Ebony magazine. The interview is available below. Congrats to Howard University and continue to support Ms. Pruett as your Miss Howard University 2010-2011. HBCUPride!


Q: How did it feel to know that you were chosen as a part of the top 10 to represent your school in this year’s September issue of the Ebony magazine? What were your thoughts and emotions when you found out?

A: My emotions (on the last day of voting in particular) were like a rollercoaster ride. Though the polls had been open for several days, I was unaware until I received an e-mail stating simply, “The polls are closing today.” I freaked out. I was so concerned that I was already too late and that my hard work had been in vain, until I realized that all things are already worked out. My faith has always taught me that what shall be shall be and that God has placed instrumental people in my life for a reason. With a new sense of determination, I set out to email and call everyone I know. Using social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, I got the word out to my student body. I was amazed at how quickly they responded. I felt more support than I could ever imagine having gained in less than 15 minutes. It was as if people dropped what they were doing to support my university and I. As they day closed, I couldn’t help but to feel nervous, but behind it all there was a security in knowing that I was tremendously blessed.

Q: How do you think your presence in Ebony Magazine will influence African American women nationwide and those that look up to you?

A: My battle as a campus queen will be won when young African American girls feel that they are entitled to greatness without having to work “twice as hard for half the respect.” By having my face in the magazine, I hope that a little girl will read and see that there is nothing extraordinary about me. I am a Georgia peach who took my education seriously and managed to make the best of the amazing opportunities that have been given to me in life. I want her to be able to relate to me and the other queens, so that she understands that she is capable of unbelievable accomplishments.

Q: How does being an Ebony Queen representative influence you to improve your campus and surrounding community?

A: Publication allows one to certify himself/herself in the eyes of stranger. Having a credible source such as EBONY Magazine to highlight the Campus Queens and I allows me to more clearly explain what I do and how it works to those that are unfamiliar with pageantry. Therefore I know now that I can establish myself as a role model, and use the connections made to influence those following in my footsteps.

Q: What initiatives do you have planned for the upcoming school year that you believe will be enhanced by your presence in Ebony magazine?

A: As most HBCU Queens have a platform for change, I have a mission for my reign to decrease the potential numbers of black divorces within our generation. I aimed mainly to complete my work on Howard University’s Campus and in the surrounding community; however having a feature in EBONY Magazine widens my horizon. I am hoping that through the magazine an opportunity will arise for my plans to become more nationwide.

Q: What is your ultimate dream? Professionally? Personally?

A: I would like to say that I have live “many lives” as I see myself having a number of careers. I would like to teach English abroad, teach Music here in the US, speak motivationally, and many other things. I don’t think that my life will consist of only one title. I prefer to be a woman of many hats.

Q: What would you like to say to your supporters, students, alumni, family, etc?

A: THANK YOU. Nothing that a campus queen does is done alone, even when it is only she that earns the crown. I consider each victory one that belong to my family, friends, neighbors, and especially my university. Each win is yours just as it is mine.

Watch the video that she submitted to Ebony Magazine at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onw9zC_JpVk

No comments:

Post a Comment