Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Davril Massey, Mister Historically Black Colleges & Universities 2010-2011

Davril Massey, Mister Historically Black Colleges and Universities 2010-2011 graduated from Winston Salem State University this May with honors (cum laude) and his BS degree in Exercise Science. Davril competed in the Mister HBCU pageant in Lincoln, MO this past March against a number of other HBCU Kings from NC, MD, NY, and other surrounding states. Davril has realized how much of an impact he has on the black male community with the title of Mister HBCU and will represent HBCU's with poise and humility throughout the year. I have a personal relationship with Davril and I know that he is a great person to hold the crown of Mister HBCU. Davril is a mentor with a great sense of humor and personality. He takes mentorship seriously and believes that we must plant the seed in our youth at an early age so that they can blossom into our productive leaders of tomorrow. Davril has a passion for motivational speaking and plans on pursuing it as a career to empower others to push themselves to their full potential. Enjoy the interview and HBCUPride!

Q: How did it feel to know that you were chosen to be Mister Historically Black Colleges and Universities for the 2010-2011 academic school year? What were your thoughts and emotions when you found out?

A: The competition was held at Lincoln University in Jefferson City Missouri. The other contestants and I were lined across the stage waiting to hear who would win. I was nervous and trying not to sweat so I kept moving a little. I can remember Ms. Williams telling me to relax from her seat at the far right of the auditorium. When they called my name as the winner I believe I felt what pure joy was like. I had worked very hard during the months approaching the competition and felt like winning was truly possible. One funny thing was that the fact that I won didn’t really hit me until a couple days later when I was in the cafeteria and people started cheering. It was a great experience!


Q: What does it mean to be the official male representative of HBCUs around the nation?

A: To be Mr HBCU means that I now have to work even harder to improve myself as a person. I have to not only show persons outsides of the HBCU community that males from our institutions can be productive, but I now have to show males of institutions that we can dream big and do big things.

Q: So how does being the official male representative of HBCU’s influence you to improve your campus and surrounding community?

A: Being the official male representative of HBCU's  influences me to reach back and make a difference in the lives of those on my campus and in my community. It influences me to help improve the mindset of certain persons to have pride about them first. After that pride is instilled in them they can then show others how to do the same thing. This will eventually lead us back to culture of people who are proud to be black for the right reasons.

Q: What initiatives do you have planned for the upcoming school year as Mister HBCU and how do you plan on using your position to influence the mindset of our black males in today’s society?

A: My most major commitment is to mentor young black males in my community. I am working on having an active hand with the kings of royal courts of various HBCU’s in developing a program where we/they will take the time to go to different high schools to speak to the students and inspire them to reach their goals and promote higher education. I am planning on attending different events throughout the year that are focused on men to speak and shares ideas of how we can improve ourselves.



Q: How did being Mister Ram prepare you for the task of being Mister Historically Black Colleges and Universities 2010-2011?

A: The name officially changed from Mr. Ram to Mr. Winston-Salem State University in the 2009-2010 academic year. During my reign as Mr. WSSU I remained humble and never forgot that I was there to help my fellow peers even if it were something as small as putting a smile on their face if they were having a bad day. Being Mr. WSSU allowed me the chance to show that I could represent my institution in a positive manner and stay true to myself. These qualities demonstrated that I was ready to move to the next level and represent all HBCU’s.



Q: What is your ultimate dream? Professionally? Personally?

A: My ultimate professional dream is to enter a profession where I can make a positive difference in the lives of others. For example law and/or motivational speaking would give me the platform to help persons who may not know how to handle certain situations, as well as, inspire others to dream and be fearless when doing so. My ultimate dream personally is too travel internationally to explore diverse cultures. I also want to travel to Africa to get a close up view of where my ancestry began.

Q: Do you have a motto that you live by each day? If so what is it and why?

A: At the end 1 Samuel 17:29 David asked the question, “Is there not a cause?” This keeps me going from day to day because I know that there is someone out there who needs to be reached by someone in a positive way. It pushes me to increase knowledge so I can assist others. It reminds me that I as a person and we as a people have not “made it.” So we can never settle and we have to keep reaching new levels as a people.


Q: In regards to African American males what are the 3 top things that you will focus on this year?

A: The first topic I will focus on is that we must receive education whether it be formal or informal because “Ignorance causes Dependence”. So if we do not know a certain thing we should seek the answer diligently. The second topic I will focus on is the ability to change and the power of it. In life we move to certain levels depending on our knowledge, thinking patterns, and hope. If our actions and attitudes do not change according to the levels we reach we will be left behind. The third topic I will focus on is giving back to the community. Once we as men gain knowledge and understand that we must change in life we can then move into our positions as natural leaders. We will be able to lead with integrity, give what we have learned throughout life, and help our communities to reach levels above where we may have gone.

Q: What would you like to say to your supporters, students, alumni, family, etc?

A: I first want to thank God for lining up everything in my life and allowing me to be where I am today. I want to thank all previous Mr. Rams for creating the position and allowing it to grow to where it is today. I have to thank my parents Merv and Pamela Massey along with my two sisters (Tamara McKinney (married) and Letitia Massey) and my brother (Jaron Massey) for love and continued support. I want to thank all of my friends and family from Waxhaw, NC, Winston-Salem State University, and Greater Cleveland Avenue Christian Church for showing love and speaking positive words into my life.

I would like to give a speacial thanks to the beautiful Ms. Dale Williams for everything she has done for me. She always made sure I was ok and had everything I needed to look my best, as well as, be the best king. Thank you for working with me and coaching me to be a winner. May God continue to prosper in all you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment