Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Kimberley Smith, Miss Bethune Cookman University 2010-2011 (Ebony Queen)

Kimberley Smith, Miss Bethune Cookman University 2010-2011 is a senior majoring in International Studies originally from St. Cathrine, Jamaica and currently residing in Miami, Florida. Kimberley is a queen of humor, grace, elegance, and most of all she is humbled to serve her alma mater as the leading woman. Kim has a passion for people and she lives her life to influence others to know their full potential. Kimberley has a bright future ahead of her and she will let nothing stand in her way of improving the present state of the black community as well as the nation. This was a great interview. Hope you enjoy! HBCUPride!

Q: How did it feel to know that you were chosen as a part of the top 10 to represent your school in this year’s September issue of the Ebony magazine? What were your thoughts and emotions when you found out?

A: I feel truly blessed! It is an honor and privilege to represent my university, to continue the legacy of our founder and publicize the accomplishments of Bethune-Cookman University. When I first found out that I was chosen to be in Ebony I was elated. I was touched to know that I had so many supporters who granted me this wonderful opportunity.

Q: How do you think your presence in Ebony Magazine will influence African American women nationwide and those that look up to you?

A: I want my presence in Ebony Magazine to be impactful. Especially, to young women today because I want them to know you can really do anything you set your mind to! It doesn’t matter where you’re from, YOU determine your future. Too many African American women question themselves and their beauty; beauty comes from within.

Q: How does being an Ebony Queen representative influence you to improve your campus and surrounding community?

A: This influences me to get people to donate back to the institution. Bethune-Cookman University is a private institution; therefore, fundraising is essential. With the exposure of the institution in Ebony Magazine will improve B-CU. Being surrounded by a black community this will help the institution growth also expose me in the community. I love to mentor children and young adults and this might seem little to us but for them it’s like winning the lottery knowing someone who they are looking up to was in a magazine.

Q: What initiatives do you have planned for the upcoming school year that you believe will be enhanced by your presence in Ebony magazine?

A: I believe that recruitment, student empowerment, and internationalizing Bethune-Cookman University are the initiatives that with be enhanced by my presence in Ebony Magazine.

Q: What is your ultimate dream? Professionally? Personally?

A: Professionally, I aspire to become an International lawyer. After doing that for some time; I eventually will build my own law firm beginning in the United States then branding in other countries. As far as my personal life I want to be a mother and a wife. Also, start a non-profit organization for children in underdeveloped countries.

Q:What would you like to say to your supporters, students, alumni, family, etc?

A: I would like to thank you all for your support prayers and commitment towards helping me be featured in Ebony magazine. Your prayers and sincere dedication has allowed me to represent the greatest institution Bethune- Cookman University across the nation. This is an opportunity that I am appreciative of. I love you all and I will continue the legacy of great women around the world. Hail Wildcats!!

No comments:

Post a Comment